Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 52 plate Fiesta Ghia auto. It wont start. I turn

Customer Question

I have a 52 plate Fiesta Ghia auto.
It wont start.
I turn the key and nothing, no click or anything.
Battery is fine, lights come on and radio booms out, just nothing from the starter.
Tried putting it in drive and rocking to see if staret was jammed.
Still nowt.
Someone said its the immobiliser gone?
Someone else said its my key which needs reprogramming?
car was runing ok, a bit sluggish so I had the plugs changed.
It went ok for a while, but now wont start at all.
Anyone have any suggestions please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you..

You mention, when you turn the key - no click, nothing... but the radio works etc..

In that case - if you have the usual warn lights that come on, on the dash when you switch on - then check the immobiliser system LED - that should be flashing at a constant rate when the key is off - car locked / or left... When you switch On - dash lights etc on as above - the LED should go out -

If when you attempt to start it - that LED flashes rapidly - then you have an immobiler problem - then try another key - in case you have a key issue. If its not that - but you have the LED as you say, then the "car side" of things - not the key, has the problem - and as its electronic - other than your finding any wiring issues etc - via a visual check, the system would need plug on diag equipment to find / cure that fault.

If its not as above - ie, the LED is ok - then you need to double check the condition of the battery -- bear in mind that the radio, lights , horn etc etc can work fine when a battery is low - but the starter motor takes a LOT more power to operate it , than those other systems - so double check that - try a jump start etc to eliminate / or find that as the problem.

If its not the battery - the starter motor , or wiring / connections to it are suspect and that would be the next to check - you will need to check the wires etc - and check for power to the starter motor - on the small lead, when key is on the start position. If you have voltage but no start - the starter is suspect as having failed.

So those are the ways forward on this - let me know how you go. You could have a starter motor inhibitor switch fault too... try holding the key in the start position - and brakes on - run the auto lever back and forth through the range - if the starter kicks in - thats the usual fault then.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.