Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 09 focus 1.8 tdci zetec with a problem on cold starting

Customer Question

Changed the glow plugs still no better .It starts but sounds like a bag of spanners as if it doesnt go onto a fast idle position .Where is the cold start relay /timer located
Many thanks Paul
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE -Im happy to help.

The relay you enquire about is in the engine bay fuse / relay box - relay no. 12

I doubt this is actually your problem given the info you have provided - but it is somewhat limited so you could of course be correct.

If there is anything else you need, just let me know -

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanx for that .What else should i be lookin at to try and cure this problem .The car seems to be running ok apart from this.

Paul

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Paul -

Thank you for your reply...

Without being able to test / check it - just going off what you say - it could be that as above... bear in mind that on these models, the glow plugs are more for emission control than starting... Very often though, these suffer from injector / fuel system issues.

I don't know the mileage but if its anything above 70/80k or thereabouts, the injectors can lose their "coding" - programming - and this can cause these issues.... They can only be recoded either at a dealer or any garage that has the needed equipment... If the mileage is around there - it would be worth having a plug in diagnostic test done - that will show that - or anything else thats going on there - It being electronic controlled / injectors etc - thats the only proper way to tell / cure it.

If its not had a service though in the last 10k miles or 10-12 months - it can even be something as simple as a partially clogging fuel filter - or air ingress / leak on the diesel seal - These are known for this especially on the fuel filter side of things - you can get air drawn in but not see fuel leaking out - that will cause this... Again - flow rate tests and vacuum tests can ID these issues.

Such an issue can be difficult to find but with the above - if you can narrow down the symptoms with the above, that should help you further - and have it checked / tested whichever fits...

Let me know if I can help any further at all though.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent" ratings range for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.