Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Problem started today never before. On start up a deep, low,

Customer Question

Problem started today never before. On start up a deep, low, harsh humming noise; lots of vibrations. Persisted at low revs, but better at high revs. Sounds like the engine will shake itself out of it's mountings at low revs!
2005 Focus 1.6 75k miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you -

You dont say of this is a 1.6 petrol - or diesel. If its the latter - check the main engine , bottom crank pulley - have someone have the engine running and turn the steering holding it on full lock - either way - Watch the pulley and the belt - if its jumping, the bottom pulley is failing and needs replacing to cure this.

There is another issue this could be on a diesel - and that is a faulty / failing DMF - thats the flywheel -- I would recommend that if you cannot find the fault as above - you will need a garage usually to ID this fault - As a tip - when its occuring - using a stethoscope or similer on the transmission bell housing - will usually ID that fault -

If its a petrol, then the engine and / or transmission mounts are suspect with this fault - check those -and dont forget to check the underside one - certainly it sounds like one of these is failing - it will need further investigating.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.