sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

2005 FORD FIESTA 1.6 PETROL AUTOMATIC COLD STARTS AND CUTS

Customer Question

2005 FORD FIESTA 1.6 PETROL AUTOMATIC COLD STARTS AND CUTS OUT SEVERAL TIMES EVENTUALY STARTING AND RUNS UNEVEN FOR A MIN AND SETTLES THEN RUNS FINE......WARM START NO PROBLEM
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

There are a couple of common concerns that can cause the symptoms you describe.

There is a concern with the throttle position sensor where corrosion forms on the connecting pins, to rectify this a new gold plated terminal sensor and jumper loom is required. The throttle position sensor is available separately from the electronic throttle body, the Ford part number for the sensor kit is 1509254, this includes the wiring. Be careful when removing the sensor as the screws have locking compound on them so to prevent them snapping undo the screws a turn or so then tighten again, unfortunately if the screws do break then a new throttle body is required which is very expensive. Once the sensor is replaced the throttle needs to be reset, it may be worth trying this first, to do this turn the ignition on and leave it for 1 minute, don't press the throttle or start the engine during this period.

Another concern is if an injector is leaking fuel this results in excess fuel in the engine on a cold start, when you try to start the car the excess fuel has in effect "flooded" a cylinder so the engine only starts on 3 cylinders and can cut out, if the engine continues to run then it runs on 3 cylinders until the excess fuel is burnt at which point it starts to run correctly, you can make this happen faster by revving the engine quite hard. The easiest way to confirm this is to remove the fuel rail with the pipes and injectors still connected, turn the ignition on (DON'T TURN THE ENGINE OVER) leave it for a minute or two and look at the injector tips, any sign of fuel would confirm a leaking injector.

Check that there aren't any air leaks on the intake side at the manifold or PCV valve located under the manifold.

Other than the above points any further diagnoses would require a diagnostic tool to enable you to retrieve any stored fault codes in the PCM, the PCM calibration and live sensor data. It is possible this is a PCM calibration error but the only way to check the calibration is through Ford IDS or similar. Obviously any stored codes need to be acted upon and the repair would depend on the code stored.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further or if you have more questions let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes and happy new year.

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks will attempt to replace the throttle sensor first, if not the culprit will look at the injectors.

big thanks.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

no problem let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes,

Sean.