Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Transit tipper P.reg 96-97 i started the engine no problem

Customer Question

Transit tipper P.reg 96-97 i started the engine no problem left it ticking over for a few minutes.Suddenly engine stops it was a few minutes before i tried restarting it,so ignition was left on for those few minutes,turned ignition off and tried to restart the engine,would not start no clicking of the solinoid ,nothing although the dash lights light up when ignition is on,put screw driver over starter terminals and starter turned engine over but would not start,it seemed like it was not getting any diesel,tried again on key dash lights come on and when try to start another light comes on but does not start and goes off when let go of ignition,other dash lights stay on its as though its getting no power to starter and no power to diesel pump.Any advise would be greatly appritiated,thanks,Mick.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ..

As you have done al that you have so far with no results - the next thing to do is to check the condition of the cam / timing belt..

You dont mention the mileage but there is always the possibility it has broken or stripped teeth due to age or contamination.. so that needs checking

You could have a diesel pump failure issue - but check on the belt first. Let me know how you get on -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything else -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,i think my problem is in the ignition system as when i try to start it theres nothing at the ignition switch only dash lights i was looking in the manual and theres a pats anti theft system fitted and i think thats failed as symtoms listed in the manual are the same ie,cuts power to starter and to fuel cut off switch.the key has to corrospond with a chip round the ignition barrel or suffers the problems im having,i see what you mean by way of the belt but as no power to starter and no start by way of arcing starter it just keeps turning over ie no fuel leads me to think this pats anti theft system is at fault,any knowledge on these ie,can i remove it from the wireing harness , cost on getting fixed getting key re programmed i didnt know it had this system fitted id of taken better care of the spare key which i cannot find,your thoughts on this mike please and thanks for first comments,i will be checking the belts,regards mick.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Mick -

Thank you for your reply and further info..

My apologies, I have just re read and noted that you say it will turn the engine if you short the starter - ( it wont start like that if you dont have the key in - or the immob is active ) so it wont be as I said no..sorry about that.

So - basically if this is an immobiliser fault- you will have the led on the roof lining either not on at all when it should be - ( or near the clock if later model )

Basically the system should operate as follows:

• System arms 5 seconds after switching ignition OFF.
  • Switch ignition ON.
  • Ensure system LED illuminates for 3-5 seconds.
  • If LED flashes rapidly at regular intervals for approximately 1 minute, then flashes at irregular intervals:
      • Key code not recognised.
      • Remove key and try again.

Now - as you dont have a spare key - or the original Red key - if its a key issue - you would have to have that done with a Ford dealer - or, and I would suggest , a mobile auto locksmith - who can come to you .. they can cut keys / program them and all sorts. You would have to check costs with they all charge differently.

The other thing to note though - is check the wiring - pay careful attention to the wiring near the injector pump - and the connectors.. any bad wiring / connections there - will cause a loss of the red security LED -and hence, no starting... So its worth checking all that first.

Its not usual for an engine to stop though caused by an immobiliser fault - but that could have been coincidental - the first thing to check is what's happening with that above - and then progress from there - if thats the case as I mentioned- you have to work through on as I ve said to get this sorted.. But do carefully check that wiring - its a common fault on these Mick - Let me know how you go..

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

.................Please do click on the OK/ Excellent ratings for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.