sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi i have bought a 2009 diesel 1.8 focus zetec. Therw have

Customer Question

Hi i have bought a 2009 diesel 1.8 focus zetec. Therw have been problems were the car seems to miss and the engine malfinction warning appears. This causes a loss of power. The car was brought back to dealer and i was told it was a mis firing cylinder no.2. That was fine but then today again the same has happened. Can u help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

Did the dealer do any work to try to resolve the concern? Is the warning message there all the time or does it come when accelerating?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for reply.

It happened at first when accelerating. Now the warning is always on and we had to limp the car home. The dealer thought it was maybe a dirty cylinder. He test drive the car after he had checked it out thats as much info as i have on what he done.

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

if there is a misfire on cylinder 2 then the wiring to this injector needs checking, it's possible for the wiring to rub through on the valve cover. The most likely cause of a misfire though is a faulty injector especially if the laser etched number on the injector ends in 3 as shown below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

There are common concerns with the fuel filter blocking on this engine, this does put the engine malfunction warning on due to low fuel pressure but there isn't usually a misfire code set it's normally P0087 or similar relating to fuel pressure. If you're unsure of the fuel filter history then I would recommend replacing this and if the injector does need replacing then I would certainly replace the filter with this.

Start with these points and let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes and a happy new year,

Sean.