Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

on a ford focas 1.8 td code is p2051

Customer Question

on a ford focas 1.8 td code is p2051
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok P0251 is a fuel metering control fault

This code is set when the fuel pressure in the rail exceeds 50 bar +/- of the target values

Most commonly this code is caused by a partially blocked fuel filter but this can be ruled out in your cause

The first thong that should be checked is the furl sample from the fuel pump return to tje gilter to inspect fir any metal swarf (a sign that the pump is breaking up and contaminating the fuel system -this is more rare but should be checked first and foremost to be ruled out

The next thing that needs to be checked with this code is the fuel injectors leak offs (using leak off bottles/hoses )
With the injector Multiplugs dissconnected and the IMV on the pump dissconnected (brown plug )
Then crank the engine for 5 seconds and note how much fuel is in the hoses
If the fuel exceeds 21cm in length them the injector must be replaced

Next connect everything back up leaving just the leak off bottles connected and start the vehicke and allow it to idle for 4 minutes and note the level in each bottle
You such get a nice constant drip/drip
If one bottle fills quickly you know the injector on the cylinder is The issue
This test will shed more clarity on your P0251 fault code

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening

Brian