Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi got a ford focus 55 plate and seem to have a problem with

Customer Question

Hi got a ford focus 55 plate and seem to have a problem with the electrics what seems to be happening is when we have the light a on main beam the window wipers don't work properly the blade move slightly then stops but as soon as u put it in low beams the wipers work again this doesn't happen ever time but 8/10 times
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you 

Ok the fault most commonly lies with the GEMmodule/fuse box (this controls all electrical features eg: lights ,wipers ,windows etc
This is the fuse box in the passengers footwell (under the glove box )

The fault lies with corrosion on the circuit board due to moisture /water ingress 
Caused by moisture droplets from the tracking down the wiring loom to the gem 

If you remove the gem and remove the Multiplugs and inspect the pins for corrosion 
It is more common for the corrosion to be in the large green plug and the small black plug
This causes a number of erratic faults eg :lights going on /off,wipers going when key removing and several others alike
The only fix is to install a new GEM module 
These are around £150 from memory and need to be programmed by fords ids laptop 
It's advised to fit foam tape round the wiring to The Multiplugs to prevent reoccurance of moisture Ingress
Also the new gems have a different plug locations to combat this

if you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
if you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
kind regards In advance and have a nice day

Brian