Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi I have an 05 transit fwd 125T260 quite frequently it starts

Customer Question

Hi I have an 05 transit fwd 125T260 quite frequently it starts messing about,generally 1st battery light on then dash lights of all meter hands drop/zero van loses power even known to put on all dash lights glow,batt,brakes etc then smother til cuts out turn keys off then back on fine, I've tried cleaning all earths I could see, removed plugs bonnet beside water bottles which all seem clean n should be making good contact.
Would you have any idea wha is causing this and how to fix, may run fine for days then do it all day, any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is Mark and I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

This is a common fault on the transit.

Mark :

You can try disconnecting the battery for half an hour to see if it resets itself.

Mark :

If it doesn't then it will either need to be sent for repair or replaced. The repair is by far the cheaper option.

JACUSTOMER-4hi5izb2- : Disconnected battery for over half hour was fine for about 3miles then started messing about again, I don't understand what you mean by "it" needs sent away for repair if you mean the dash, I think problem must lie deeper as I had mentioned about van engine losing power and occasionally actually cutting out could that all come from the dash board? I had forgot mention I got diagnostics done only came up as system fault not sure what code was?
Mark :

Sorry, I read it as dash /van losing power and al dash lights coming on.

Mark :

Didn't notice you meant engine loses power.

Mark :

Is there any time when the dash goes faulty and the engine doesn't lose power?

Mark :

If not then it means the engine is actually cutting out first and then instruments all go to zero readings.

JACUSTOMER-4hi5izb2- : Sometimes yes dash will cut out but stil drive fine then others it will flash and mess about then engine rattles(as if it of a cylinder) if stop engine then restart fine for a while, sometimes wet days can b worse but not always,thanks Danny
Mark :

If you have two batteries on this vehicle then maybe one of them is starting to go faulty.

JACUSTOMER-4hi5izb2- : Only 1 battery in this van?
Mark :

Just had a look at diagram and instruments are connected to engine ecu via the CAN bus network. I think you need to have instrument panel repaired.