Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Hi Im have a problem with my Ford fusion 1.6TDCI A few weeks

Customer Question

Hi I'm have a problem with my Ford fusion 1.6TDCI
A few weeks ago the battery ran flat whilst driving causing the electrical systems to play up. I'd also noticed an unfamiliar high pitch tone from the engine that day prior to this.
After charging it ran for another week or so before the same thing happened again. I was advised at the time this was probably an alternator/pulley fault and was planning to get it looked at.
I removed the battery to charge and test, battery was ok. When I put the battery back on I have power but the engine is totally unresponsive when I turn the ignition.
All fuses have been check and are ok.
Digging a bit deeper with the help of a Haynes manual I checked the starting circuit. I am only getting 7.5v across Pin 1&2 of the starter relay. When I check Pin 1 to a chassis earth I have 12v.
The problem appears to be I have 3.5v on Pin 2 of the starter relay which the manual says is 'Earthed via the engine management control unit'
Unsure where to go from here and any help would be much appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andy,

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'd 1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

also check the condition of the small earth wire connections that screw to the block with small ring terminals as these are the ECU specific earths and important for proper ECU function

If all the connections are OK its possibly an internal fault with the ECU and the next step would then to be send the ECU off for testing / repair

I can reccommend these firms