Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

My Ford Mondeo MK2 1996 Speedo is not working. This model has

Customer Question

My Ford Mondeo MK2 1996 Speedo is not working. This model has no speedo cable.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

This should have a vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox. It doesn't use the ABS sensors for the speedo.

Mark :

It should have 3 wires going to it.

Mark :

white/blue, green/red and black.

Mark :

The instrument cluster has a self test facility so you can check the operation of the speedometer and also to check the signal from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). To self test is as follows,

1. To enter the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode simultaneously press and hold the tripmeter reset button and turn the ignition switch to position II.

1. When TEST is displayed in the LCD release the tripmeter reset button

1. The instrument cluster will enter the gauge sweep test.

1. To navigate through or skip any of the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests press the tripmeter RESET button.

1. The self-test is deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position or when the tripmeter reset button is pressed and held for 5 seconds.

Test 1 will check the speedometer operation, test 8 drive the car and the mileage display will display the speed of the vehicle, if the gauge moves on the self test but no speed is displayed on test 8 then the VSS will need replacing. This is on the gearbox near the drivers side driveshaft. If the gauge doesn't move at test 1 then a new cluster is required.

Mark :

If you need anything else, please ask.

Mark :

If not, please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark :

Mark.