Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2007 ford mondeo 1.8 tdci common rail single over headcam start

2007 ford mondeo 1.8 tdci common rail single over headcam

start my car on a morning then it stalls after a few seconds then wont start until its has been cranked about 15 times then it is fine for rest of the day sometimes a week
then a week later same thing once started is ok.

1. changed fuel filter and seal
2. carried out leak back check on injectors
3. carried out check to all visible fuel pipes and connections
4. My drive is inclined and makes no difference facing uphill or down
5. had it in garage 3 times and unable to fault every time
6. No warning lights or trouble codes
7. Recently had glow plugs replaced

Struggling for solution
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

you've done a lot of the things I'd normally suggest however there's a couple to add

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

If this is OK then check if the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

if it does then try removing the valve and cleaning it with brake cleaner as they do sludge up

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks il try that also forgot to mention when i opened bleed nipple on top of fuel filter after the problem started air escaped could any of this be related to air in fuel ?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Craig

yes its quite possible it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Matt, Mechanical Engineer