Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I serviced my Ford Focus 2.0 ltr diesel (2008) yesterday and

Customer Question

I serviced my Ford Focus 2.0 ltr diesel (2008) yesterday and replaced all filters and used Castrol GTX 5W/30 to Ford's specification. Bleeding the fuel filter was a real pig, but with a hand pump I managed to get it through. The engine took several attempts to start, but eventually fired up and I left it to run up to temperature (as recommended by Haynes). I drove the car around for a while to top up the battery and then left it to cool down so I could check for leaks and oil level. When I went to start it this morning I had an engine malfunction light on, so I didn't start it. I have checked all sensors that I disconnected to do the service and they seem fine. I do not have a fault code checker, so I am at a bit of a loss. If I press the left hand stalk the malfunction message goes off, but the light stays on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

Does the light stay on when you start the engine?

Customer:

Yes. But I can cancel the alarm and the message using the trip computer stalk. The car starts normally, but I dare not take it for drive.

Mark :

What does the message say?

Customer:

Engine Malfunction

Mark :

You need a scan tool to find out what code has been stored and to see if it is linked to anything you may have done during the service.

Mark :

Driving the vehicle should not be a problem unless the light starts flashing which would indicate a more serious fault.

Mark :

This would allow you to get to a garage with a scan tool to find what code has been stored.

Customer:

Thank you. I will get hold of a scanner. I didn't realise the warning message could flash as well.

Mark :

Not the message, the engine management light or glowplug light.

Mark :

Do you have an oil level sensor on this vehicle?

Customer:

I don't have any other lights on but the main light '!' and the central message where the trip meter is.

Customer:

Yes, it does.

Mark :

Did you possibly have the ignition on when you were draining the sump?

Mark :

That could cause the sensor to overheat and burn out.

Mark :

The oil actually acts as a coolant for the sensor.

Mark :

Or ignition on before you refilled the engine with oil.

Customer:

No, the ignition was not on at any stage during the service. I only turned it on when I had bled the fuel filter.

Customer:

I did not start the engine until I had finished all the service, which would have meant the oil filter was empty of oil during the first attempts to start the engine after I had bled the diesel filter. Where is the oil level sensor?

Mark :

In the sump.

Customer:

Then it would have been covered when I first turned on the ignition.

Mark :

Ok. It was just a thought. I had seen it a few times.

Mark :

You should be ok to drive it. Just make sure oil and coolant levels are ok before you do.

Customer:

My main concern is driving it when the warning light '!' is on, but nothing else is showing when I cancel the main message. If no other light is on i.e. everything else is off, should I be able to drive it to the garage okay?

Mark :

Yes

Customer:

Mark :

No problem.