Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi, need help. I have a 1.6 diesel 2005 plate tdci focus

Hi, need help. I have a 1.6 diesel 2005 plate tdci ford focus.. I was inside the other day after driving through a puddle I got home, locked my car and went to bed, I was woken up by the sound of my windscreen wipers juddering all by themselves, with no key... when key is turned in the ignition it stops it. I was able to drive It again the next day after disconnecting the battery, but that evening it wouldn't start. It now wont start however wipers still judder sometimes and all dashboard lights still come on? any ideas? p.s I have checked all fuses on both glove box and engine and all are fine

can you also tell me expected costs of having it fixed at a garage pls?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you

WATER IN GEM 

Ok we know the ussue has been caused by driving through the puddle
the wiper fault will lie with the GEMmodule/fuse box This is the fuse box on the passengers footwell 
If you have went through a puddle the water/moisture has more likely entered the heater box or interior of the vehicle
And ended up internal of The fuse box

The GEM controls the wipers
You can try removing the GEM And all the fuses (take a photo of the fuse line up it's easier when putting back together)
And remove the 3 Phillips screws and seperate the GEM to inspect the printed circuit board For any water damage

if there is water damage /corrosion then only fix is to install a new GEMmodule 
These are around £200 and need to be programmed by fords ids laptop 

Regarding your no crank issue flash code 16 is a list of communication between the PCM and CLUSTER.
This can also be caused by removing fuses or jump starting and needs to be looked into further
Starting with the 3 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box as the water could have caused all types of issues here

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Ps we can Continue our diagnostics on this post

if you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
if you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE /ACCEPT MY ANSWER
kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice Day

Brian 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

I've already removed the fuse box in the foot well and unclipped the sides to see the circuit board but can only see the one side, and there is no water damage that I can see. I have tested every fuse and they are all fine.

is the pcm cluster issue expensive? I have asked my insurance company to come collect it and take to ford dealer, any ideas on what price I should be expecting?

Hi there

Normally I remove every fuse and physically remove the circuit board to check for corrosion etc

This may just need the GEM reset through fords IDS software
This resets the internal relays of the GEM eg wipers /central locking etc

The no coms PCM /cluster issue can be one of many things from a fuse or loose connection along the CAN bus data wires between the cluster and PCM to an internal module fault or just a simple reset again fine through fords ids
software So it is difficult to put a price on this issue
But most times on the focus this flash code 16 comes up when the vehicle thinks it is being stole eg battery dissconnected (like you did ) and put back on or dissconnecting/reconnecting modules can confuse the system as it thinks a theft is taking place

If the insurance company are taking it to a ford main dealer you will have piece of mind in regards XXXXX XXXXX the issue as most smaller garages would struggle with this type if fault

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 

Brian

The diagnostic equipment we use in a main dealer is superior for resolving these types of issue