sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a replacement passenger door mirror electrically operated

I have a replacement passenger door mirror electrically operated with a 5-pin plug fitted. The wires are coloured :- Red
Green
Brown
White/Grey spots
Brown/Grey spots

Existing loom has 6 wires :- Black (2 separate with spade connectors)
1 Grey and 1 Brown ( separately into a moulded twin spade connector.
1 Grey and 1 green ( separately into a moulded twin spade
connector.
Can these be made to be compatable?
Model is 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia petrol. 20004/5
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

Is the replacement mirror from a Focus but a different year?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Replacement is new from 'FPS' ford and peugeot spares of Faringdon Avenue,XXXXX XXXXX ,Romford Essex.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

unless you know either what model the mirror is from or the wiring designation of the new mirror you won't be able to get the electrical system of the mirror to operate correctly.

The Focus mirror will have 2 wires for heating, 2 wires for up and down adjustment and 2 wires for left right adjustment. The actual mirror connector

should be a block connector with 6 wires as shown below.

graphic

These wires will then go in to the mirror.

If you get a genuine Ford replacement mirror then this would be a straight forward swap where the 6 wire connector unplugs and the new mirror plugs in to this.

As I said earlier without the wiring designations you will struggle with this.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sean, can you further advise which pairs of connections numbered 1-6 in the block connector serve up, down, and heating functions and also the wire colour on the existing loom for each function. Thanks

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the colours and functions of the wires at the mirror connector are as follows.

Pin 1 12 volts when mirror adjusting up, blue/yellow wire, earth when adjusting down.

Pin 2 earth when mirror adjusting left, 12 volts when adjusting right, yellow/violet wire.

Pin 3 12 volts when adjusting mirror left, earth when adjusting mirror right and 12 volt

when adjusting mirror down and earth when adjusting mirror up, white/green wire.

Pin 4 12 volts with heated mirror on, green/orange wire.

Pin 5 permanent earth, black wire.

Pin 6 should be an empty pin.

Being a Ghia spec car if the indicators are in the mirror and there are puddle lamps then there will be more terminals to the mirror to account for these.

If the wiring doesn't match the connector let me have the chassis number and I'll be able to check vehicle specific wiring.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sean, I think that I can cobble the connections with this information. Lesson learned is to make sure that replacement parts are genuine Ford spares if buying from the web. Regards