Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

ford focus 2.0 TDCI Duratorq. The battery symbol in the instrument

ford focus 2.0 TDCI Duratorq. The battery symbol in the instrument cluster is illuminated and there is a whine which seems to be linked to engine speed.The handbook instruction is to turn off unnecessary electrical equipment and get it checked." What might be causing this problem and is it OK to drive it{to take it to the garage }? I would appreciate any advice you could offer on this problem.

Many thanks.
Rod Scholes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Rod ,good morning to you

Sorry for the delayed response

Ok your fault lies with the vehicles alternator
The alternator keeps the battery fully charged

When the alternator stops charging or operating correct the Battery warning light is illuminated
If you continue to drive the vehickee while the alternator isn't charging eventually the battery will lose charge when your driving the vehicle as the battery uses what charge it has left and rvtyally the electrics will stop operating and the vehicle will cut out

The whining mouse you hear is the alternator quite common in the 2.0tdci focus
Sometimes we find if someone has replaced the fuel filter they have allowed diesel to enter the alternator as it sits directly below the fuel filter

You will require a new alternator to resolve this issue
I would advise having this done as soon as you can as you don't want up break down when driving

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Rod please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE