sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

i have a 2003 ford zeetec 2 litre tdi ghia when i turn the

i have a 2003 ford zeetec 2 litre tdi ghia when i turn the ignition over the speedo and rev counter goes right round and does not start the past week the glow plug light was coming on andthe engine cut out when istarted it again it started could the glow plug be the problem

Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The gauges usually move all the way around at ignition on if the car battery is getting low.

The glow plug light is also an engine management lamp, if it came on or was flashing when the engine cut out then there is a fault that has been detected by the engine management. Around 90% of the time this tends to be due to a fuel problem, fuel filter, injector or high pressure fuel pump.

If the engine starts then cuts out it's highly unlikely to be a glow plug problem.

The only way to confirm what is causing the glow plug light to come on is to have a diagnostic check carried out on the engine management and retrieve any stored fault codes, any garage can do this so the cost is minimal.

If you wanted to try this on a DIY basis then there are many cheap scan tools available on Ebay for around £40.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.