sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.

Hello and please help me !! Ive a 2007 1.8 TDCI Mondeo. For

Hello and please help me !!
I've a 2007 1.8 TDCI Mondeo. For the last 2-3 months I have experienced squealing on acceleration through the gears and constant squealing whilst cruising. Ive had the belts changed but it's still there if not got worse. Yesterday the key fob wouldn't open the door automatically so I opened it manually. I then put the key in the ignition and turned.... NOTHING ! Not even a light on the dash ! It was as if the engine and electrics had been removed overnight !!!
Recovery called and my battery was completely dead. I've dropped it off at my usual garage who have checked the belts and pulleys which were ok. But, they have stated that they believe the turbo is on it's way out. I'm not convinced as I did not think a failing turbo would drain a battery?
I've done some investigating on various blogs and none mention the turbo. They have advised faults with cracked/split inter cooler pipe or hose, pulley or alternator bearings or release bearings to even clutch plate ?!?
I'm not an educated man when it comes to car mechanics and as with others today money is tight. A turbo will be expensive (if the correct diagnosis).
Please please help me Mr mechanic
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

Firstly you are correct, a turbo fault would not cause the battery to go flat. I would have the cause of this investigated first as it may or may not be related to the noise.

The alternator on this engine isn't driven directly by the fan belt, there is a pulley with a one way clutch and rubber cushion plate that is driven by the fan belt, this is bolted to the alternator pulley and drives it. The clutch and rubber in this pulley do fail, when you look at them with the engine running it can appear OK but on further inspection the pulley can be turning where driven by the fan belt but the alternator doesn't turn obviously causing a flat battery, it also makes a noise as the damaged parts spin against each other.

The garage should be able to check the charge rate of the alternator, with the heated rear screen on and the headlamps it should be producing around 13.5 volts, usually higher on this model.

There are a couple of turbo pipes that split on this engine, the pipe from the intercooler to inlet manifold splits near the joint to the manifold and the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler can split near the gearbox. In both cases there is usually a sign of oil around the pipe and if you rev the engine you can hear a high pitched whistle as the air escapes from the split under boost pressure. The noise is usually louder on acceleration and disappears when the throttle is released.

As I said at the beginning a turbo fault won't flatten the battery so get to the bottom of that problem first.

Let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.