Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Wount make any attempt to start checked battery shows up steering

Wount make any attempt to start checked battery shows up steering malfunction on dash plus to I I signs like abook
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok if you have the message " steering malfunction " and you cannot get the ignition lights on /no crank
Then the lies with the keyless vehicle system
In your case where by you state you cannot get the igtion lights on this would indicate an issue within the keyless vehicle module or steering colum module /lock assembly
The KVM (Keyless Vehicle Module ) is what controls the full system ie :powers up the ignition relay and controls the power button /keyless start and keyless entry if fitted and also the steering lock mechanism

Most times the fault lies with a software glich in the KVM whereby it cannot release the electronic steering lock
This is they first preliminary diagnosis we carry out by updating the KVM. Software to the latest level (this can only be done by a ford dealer who have the software )

Other issues we have seen are faulty steering lock assemblies where by it won't allow you to do anything (just a warning message on dash

This is a very complex and technical system and requires our ford ids software to correctly diagnose the issue
This keyless system cannot be diagnosed without ids

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening 

Brian