sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a S-Max Zetec which is 4.5 years old and has done 37,000

I have a S-Max Zetec which is 4.5 years old and has done 37,000 miles. I have regularly serviced it at Dagenham Motors. To date there have been no problems with the car.

Last Sunday an "Engine malfunction" warning message flashed while on the motorway. I booked the car in to check at Dag Mot. They ran a diagnostic check and have told me that 2 of the 4 injectors are faulty, and while they were looking at this problem they found that the power steering pump was leaking. They have quoted £800 to put this right.

I am peeved at this and my contention is that this is not normal wear and tear. While the car may be out of its warranty period, with the service record and low mileage I feel the Ford should pay for this as its an engineering problem.

I would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks in advance
P Navare
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

For any chance of a contribution from Ford towards the repair you need to speak to their customer relations department on 08458411111 the dealer isn't authorized to agree to any cost being paid by Ford.

With regard to the items failing due to an engineering problem this will be extremely difficult to prove. Ford may argue that the injectors could have failed due to poor quality fuel or even the vehicle being misfueled previously (I'm not suggesting it has). With regard to the power steering pump it should be expected to last longer than it has but again this comes down to proving it's a manufacturing defect that is the problem.

Start with speaking to Ford and see what they say also it may be worth checking with regard to the sale of goods act, this isn't my area of expertise but I believe according to this goods should be fit for purpose for 5 years.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can assist further with the car side of things and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response Sean. I will follow up Ford and see what transpires.

Pradip