sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

My car has an hissing noise and my fan keeps going and im

My car has an hissing noise and my fan keeps going and im loseing power when i put my foot on the gas
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Do you mean the cooling fan runs when the car is turned off and the battery goes flat? Or the cooling fan runs all the time when the engine is running and this happens hot or cold?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when the engine is running hot and cold

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the cooling fan runs all the time then either the air conditioning is on (the air conditioning is on whenever the heater is on demist) or there is a problem with the engine temperature circuit, if this happens the engine management switches the cooling fan on as a safety feature to prevent the engine over heating.

The hissing noise that would give a running concern is an air leak in the air intake system on the engine, usually the engine breather hose splits allowing air to be drawn into the inlet manifold.

Start with checking these points, let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi sean i dont have air con just a heater fan its an mk model

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the car doesn't have A.C. then the fan working on demist isn't relevant but the engine temperature sensor circuit is still relevant if the fan is on when the engine is cold.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is the temp sensor and circuit the same thing and where are thay located

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the sensor is part of the circuit, the engine management sends a voltage down a wire to the sensor, this goes through the resistor inside the sensor, the resistance changes in the sensor as the temperature changes, so the voltage that goes back to the engine management from the sensor varies depending on temperature, the engine management can then calculate the engine temperature from this voltage. The problem with the fan comes if this circuit becomes open for example if the sensor is disconnected the engine management can't tell how hot the engine is so to prevent any possibility of the engine getting too hot it switches the cooling fan on.

The sensor location depends on which engine is fitted to the car, petrol or diesel and also the petrol 1.4 and 1.6 sensor is located in a different place to the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol.

The 1.4 and 1.6 is either in the cylinder head between spark plug numbers 1 and 2 or in the housing on the end of the cylinder head below the ignition coil assembly (an early model such as yours should be the latter). The 1.8 and 2.0 sensor is located at the rear of the cylinder head near the timing belt cover end.

Let me know if I can advise further.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you please tell me whitch hose is the engine breather hose on the 1.4 engine i have no diagrammes of anything on the engine thanks

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

you can see the breather hose under the inlet manifold if you look from the transmission end of the engine as shown at 2 in the diagram. Also check the other hoses connected to the inlet manifold and the joint of the manifold to engine to make sure this isn't leaking.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you please show me a diagrame of the engine thanks a mill regards james

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

which part of the engine do you need a diagram for?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i need one of the sensor management that sends a signal through the wire to the temp scensor regards thanks

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the engine management control module is inside the car on the driver's side behind the kick panel, it has an electrical connector to it that will have at least 50 wires to it but if it's the EEC V version this is 104 wires. The pin numbers are 7&46 on an EEC IV and 38&91 on the EEC V module, for the wires to the sensor. The electrical connector on the module is secured with a security bolt, to remove the wiring connector means drilling the bolt or removing it with some mole grips.

Regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry i had 2 cancelle your service was excellent but i cant affDrd your Service thanks so much for all ur help it was great and will tell everyone i know about you kind regards James