Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a ford Mondeo 2008 (08) the temp gauge reads in the

I have a ford Mondeo 2008 (08) the temp gauge reads in the middle however the fan doesn't seem to kick in. Just had it in at Halfords who have change the thermostat. I can see water/steam around the bottom of the header tank. I am trying to locate the fan switch but unable to locate, any ideas why the water is being lost from the header tank as well?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you

Ok the first thing that we have to resolve is the cooling fan issue

Ok does the fan kick in when you switch the air con on

Does the vehicle have EATC - electronic climate control

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has Dual climate control is that the same?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi I am in the car now and the engine is running, I have put the air con on but i don't hear the fan coming on? Then again I don't feel the cold air like air con working?

Hi there sorry for the delay

Ok on your electronic climate control unit can you press and hold OFF and footwell (direction ) buttons together for 3 seconds then press AUTO

The system will run through a self test and emit a 4 digit fault code ie - 94 95

Can you see if there are any codes logged using this test

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello no fault code displayed, but i do get everything displayed, i hope i am doing it right? i press the hold the two buttons then press the auto button. I then see the fan display increase again and again?

Hi there ,thanks

Just wanted to clarify if any codes were logged in the EATC module

Ok on this Varient of Mondeo if the cooling fan is inoperative the most common and likely issue will be a corroded fan control wire

The cooling fan is controlled directly from the PCM /ECU
There is 3 wires going to the cooling fan
2 large wires and one small thin wire
There is a feed and an earth (black &red)
And there is a fan control wire this is blue or violet depending on setup

This wire is a pulse width modulated control wire from the PCM

Ideally you should have a good quality diagnostic fault code check done on the PCM as this fault will log a fault code relating to fan circuit 1 High

The engine bay wiring loom (Y joint ) at the gearbox area is prone for holding standing water this causes corrosion on the wiring
If you start at the multiplug of the fan wiring and remove the insulation to inspect for a corroded fan control wire

Even if the wiring looks visually ok give it a slight tug to see if there is any pints if weakness due to the corrosion

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening 

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE