Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi there, My mother has a 14yr old Ford Fiesta Zetec which

Customer Question

Hi there,
My mother has a 14yr old Ford Fiesta Zetec which has just failed MOT because driver airbag light has been on for ages and it seems the airbag system will have to be replaced. We are about to see a mechanic (recommended) this morning who has scanned the car & is going to hopefully do the job. I assume this will be expensive for her & just wondered if you could give me an idea of what I should expect him to quote...and if the car is worth the repair.

Thank You

Mary McCarthy
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Mary , good morning to you

Ok does the light just stay solid or does it emit a flash code
Ie 1 flash - PAUSE - 3 flashes = flash code 13

Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

Well...its not my car so not sure but I think its just a static light. Im certain mum would have noticed a code flashing.

Thanks in advance

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies Brian,
i have to leave now to meet my mum at the garage. I think the light is static...no flash code...I just need to know roughly how expensive its going to be. She is a pensioner and although this mechanic is recommended and apparently a specialist...I just wanted another opinion before I ask my local Ford Garage where the car was purchased 14 years ago. The car is her absolute lifeline to remaining independant and if it wont go through the MOT and is going to cost a fortune...its going to be hard.

I have to leave now so look forward to your response on my return. Many thank Brian

Brst Wishes

Mary

Hi mary thanks

Ok the first thing that will have to find and what you are about to have fine is a diagnostic fault code check of Thr airbag module
There will be a specific fault code logged in the airbag module which will lead us to the root issue
The issue will either lie with a component ie clock spring ,pretensioners etc or most commonly a loose connection at one of the components

Thr airbag system does a self test when the ignition is switched in and each component on the airbag system has a resistance value if there is a poor or loose connection this will give a high resistance reading and the light will illuminate

The fault code check is IMPERATIVE to correctly diagnosing this issue

Ok you would be looking at around £25 for a diagnostic check at most smaller garages

The price to fix the airbag system depends in what code is logged
But your not looking at renewing the full system as I said must times a loose connection under the seat or trims is the issue so I wouldn't be rushing to get rid of Thr car as mist times it is not expensive to resolve airbag issues

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue mary please let me know 
Or if you want clarification on the fault code or what you are being told
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice Day

Brian 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for this...I wish I had seen it before I had to leave...I don't know what the diagnostic code is unfortunately. The mechanic has quoted £220+VAT which includes replacing the unit & labour. I guess we only have his word that that is was is required..he seemed genuine enough.

I suppose I should ask him for the code though I'm guessing he'll be half way through the job by now.

Thank you for your help.

Mary

Hi there Mary

Ok if it us the airbag module itself then that us a fair price to pay as the module is around £150
Ideally I would have liked to know what the code was so I could advise you clearer

If you ever need any future help or technical advice on your vehicle or any other Mary please let me know 
If you have been completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening 

Brian 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Brian...i guess we just 'gotta have faith' as George Michael once sang!! :-)

You've been a great help. Much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Brian,

sorry..back again ...the code is B13 42

As it turned out, the mechanic hasn't completed the job because apparently, the wrong unit was delivered. If I can ask you if you can shed any further light on the work/cost involved...that would be great...then i will complete the rating. Thanks

Mary

Hi there Mary ,good evening to you

Ok this fault code is an internal airbag module fault
The airbag module is located in the centre floor pan And is secured by 3x10 mm nuts

You will be looking at around 1 hours labour plus the part to resolve this issue Mary

You can however buy the parts second hand online
The part you need is an airbags ECU or airbag module

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 

Brian 
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So approx £150 to replace the module and one hour of labour Brian?...is that correct? That's very helpful thanks.
Hi there Mary

Ok that is an estimated price I could check the exact price of the module tommorow but that's a rough guid to pay so £200 + is about right for diagnosing -part and labour

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening 

Brian 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Brian....that's totally fine...you ve done enough...that's so reassuring...what a brilliant service...so glad I stumbled across the site...my mum will be massively reassured too. Have a good evening and weekend.
Hi there Mary

If you ever need any future help or any type of technical advice please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening /weekend

Brian