Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I have a ford 1.4 tdci 03 fiesta I have exhaust fumes coming

Customer Question

I have a ford 1.4 tdci 03 fiesta
I have exhaust fumes coming from the rear of the engine on the left hand side
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you

Ok the fault will lie with s failed injector selling copper washer
This is mostly accompined by a chuffing/puffing type sound at idle

This Fault allows combustion gases to escape and cause an excessive amount of carbon build up on and around the injector

To resolve the issue you nedd to replace the 4 injector sealing washers (as if you are doing one you may as well do them all when the vehicle is stripped (this avoids a re occurance on another cylinder )

This job can be time consuming 3/4 hours as a lot of the time is spent cleaning the carbon off and around The failed injector seal area

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening 

Brian 
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's the best way to clean the carbon build up
Hi there ,

Ok this job is quite time consuming as you need to remove the inletmanufild /rocker cover to gain access to the injectors
Once you remove The injectors and they can be difficult to remove as the carbon build up around the injector body
We have a special tool for cleaning the injector bore and a screwdriver /wire brush for cleaning the carbon off the cylinder head

Note - don't clean the injector tips as this can damage the injector

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 

Brian 
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have put the engine back together, the engine turns. over but will not start, I've fitted a new fuel filter, I have pump the fuel round, almost started.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Sorry for the delay

Ok these engines can be a pain to start after the injectors have been removed
Due to a mixture of poor compression and low fuel pressure

If you continue pumping the primer And cranking the engine over (better with someone else turning it over while you continue pumping
Also compression issues can be present due to the injector being removed but continue cranking the engine will build compression (use jump leads or battery pack to ensure a good cranking rate

It is akways the case with these engines but the engine will start eventually and may idle poorly for a bit before clearing

Regards in advance

Brian