sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have Ford Focus Zetec S 2010 2.0 TDCi This has happened 2-3

I have Ford Focus Zetec S 2010 2.0 TDCi This has happened 2-3 times , whilst driving engine starts to lose power then just cuts out and then cannot restart, just before this happens the ESP warning light comes on, and previously the coil light comes on, towed to garage but they cannot pin down fault. they get it started then goes fine for a few weeks then it happens again. There have been a few suggestions as Fuel Recognition System or Fuel Pump or even Loom
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

As the glow plug light has come on the engine management (PCM) has detected a fault where a sensor or actuator is outside it's preset parameters.

Ignore the ESP light as this is a consequence of the engine concern, the ESP light comes on as the first intervention of the ESP is through the engine management by reducing engine torque, if there is a fault with the engine then the ESP can't operate correctly hence this light comes on.

With regard to the engine fault the first thing to consider is the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced recently it would be good practice to change this as a partially blocked fuel filter will cause fuel pressure concerns.

You mention the garage get the car started, find out what they do to get it started again as this will assist in pinpointing the area of the concern, ideally you need the fault codes from the PCM that caused the glow plug light to come on. The 2.0L TDCi engine is normally pretty reliable most faults tend to be fuel pressure related as I mentioned earlier but there are concerns with the EGR valve and turbo sensors so this is why getting the stored codes is important.

Let me know if I can advise further or if you have more questions after you have any codes and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for reply, will take info to garage tomorrow. Will let you know what they say