Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a FORD Mondeo Mk3 (55 Reg) TDCi 130 manual gearbox,

I have a FORD Mondeo Mk3 (55 Reg) TDCi 130 manual gearbox, with a clutch/gearbox problem. It was recovered from the motorway yesterday where it suddenly lost drive whilst travelling at 70-80mph (I wasn't there or driving it!). Today I have started the car and I can put it into gear without depressing the clutch pedal with the engine running. Operating the clutch pedal makes no difference to the situation and the car appears to have the clutch permenantly seperated from the flywheel.

I had a new clutch and flywheel fitted about 20,000 miles ago and everything has been working fine up until yesterday?

Any idea from my description what the problem is likely to be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this does sound exactly like the main clutch plate has failed to me

this can happen if the clutch wasn't fitted correctly or if substandard parts were used

sorry to say that the next step is to have the gearbox off again to view the damage