Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

I was driving a wonderful 2003 Ford Mondeo ZETAC 1.8L which

Customer Question

I was driving a wonderful 2003 Ford Mondeo ZETAC 1.8L which I loved and was getting around 40 MPG. I upgraded to a 2005 similarmodel and am getting around 27 MPG. What is the problem, please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you

Ok the first thing I advise to customers if they have purchased a car and there is an issue with there now mpg compared to there last vehicle is to reset the average MPG
get the mpg reading up and press and hold the trip button this will erase the mpg reading do you can start afresh
The reason bring the previous driver may have had a totally different driving style to yours
And the average mpg can take time to revert up higher as its a calculation over a period of drive cycles
I would advise doing this first and drive like you are over a week or so and see what we are reading

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Brian 
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian,

I have been measuring the mpg weekly when I fill the car, dividing the amount taken to fill the car into the miles since last fill up. This is working out at around 27 mpg. I have been driving the car for 5 weeks. I am an experienced driver and am not abusing the car. My last 03 Ford Mondeo 1.8 was giving me more than 40 mpg. Is there a technical problem that I can tell my garage to fix? it seems really strange that a newer model is giving less mpg.

Lynn