Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I drive a 2007 ford first style diesel 1.4 and recently

Hi I drive a 2007 ford first style diesel 1.4 and recently when I have been going into third gear and up to 30 mph the car seems to lose power and rev instead, it is still driving able up to 30 mph but I'm worried that it will do this when I am on the motorway or something, do you think you know what the issue is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if this is a manual gearbox car then this sounds like it may be a problem with the clutch

as if the car struggles to accelerate and the engine rev's seem to flare or rev up without the car accelerating and there's a 'hot' smell then this is the clutch thats no longer gripping and is slipping instead

if this is the case then the gearbox will have to come off to replace parts