Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hello We have a 2004 mondeo ,two days ago our son drove through

Customer Question

HelloWe have a 2004 mondeo ,two days ago our son drove through some water after heavy rain ,he maintains it wasn't very deep and only the near side wheel was submerged the offside being dry ,however a few minutes later the car began malfunctioning and went into what I believe to be limp mode , a friend of ours looked at it and found that the air intake filter was wet on one side but not exessively but pointing out that it could have damaged the engine ,the vehicle was taken to our local garage who deal with all our transport and with no further checks as yet paint a very gloomy picture of bent con rods etc .My question is could the water have caused something less serious and what to check before we scrap the car thanking you in anticipation . Pete the car is a 2 litre CDi
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

before going straight in with the worst possible scenario

I'd try running the car wihout the air filter as these can block up if wet

and if that doesn't help remove the air flow meter and inspect the wires for damage as they are very fine and easily broken

the meter is loacated just after the air filter box and forms part of the air intake pipe work

should look like this

graphic

and if this is OK then get the compression pressures measured on all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Matt , the mechanic hat already done what you advised and the car is running again ,so you were bang on with your advise.
Thanks again
Pete
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Glad to help Pete

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Mondeo keeps reverting to limp mode and smoking when first started then going smooth but with no real power (turbo? ) plus the heater coil light continually flashing and eng.man.light on ,any ideas ????
Pete
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Pete

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method

from your descriptional I'd check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home