Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have a 02 reg diesel Mondeo - I have just replaced the glow

I have a 02 reg diesel Mondeo - I have just replaced the glow plugs but it will not start - what happens is when I turn on the ignition the battery voltage drops to about 6 volts - I have tried jump leads but the same happens - it happens when I try to start the engine, with the ignition switch in the on position the voltage is 12.9 volts it only drops when I turn it to the start position
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

Did this only start after you replaced the relay?

Customer:

I have not replaced the relay only the glow plugs

Mark :

Was it starting ok before you replaced the glowplugs?

Customer:

no - it was very difficult to start and gave out a lot of smoke when it did finally start - also just a bit more info - I have disconnected the wiring to the glow plugs and it still happens

Mark :

I would say you have either a faulty battery or a faulty starter motor or a bad earth lead.

Customer:

I will check all this out if there is not a problem then how do I get back in touch?

Mark :

Just come back to this page.

Mark :

Because the volt drop only occurs when in the crank position means the glowplugs are not the cause.

Customer:

It will be some time tomorrow will that be OK?

Mark :

It has to be starter motor, battery, connections, earth lead or at worst a partially seized engine.

Mark :

That is ok.

Customer:

Mark :

No problem.

Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds