Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I bought my 56plate fiesta style 6 years ago from hendy

Hi, I bought my 56plate fiesta style 6 years ago from hendy ford and they replaced the drive shaft a month later due to noise, I haven't had a problem until 4 weeks ago, when my car started making a constant whining noise from I think the drivers side, you can hear it once you get to 25-30 then it gets louder and remains constant, once you begin to slow down it goes quiet again. Could it be the drive shaft or bearings, how long should they last as I only had it done 6 years ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

you may have had parts repalced only 6 years ago bu If you've done 50K miles in that time then thats enough milage to have to start replacing parts again

From your description I don't think its a drive shaft though as its soudns more like a wheel bearing to me

I'd next check for worn suspension joints and bearings - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush