sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

pulled the dipstick and the whole casing came out - cant see

Customer Question

pulled the dipstick and the whole casing came out - cant see where it fits back in - can you help? It is a 2003 ford transit minibus 2 litre

Bea
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Do you know which engine is fitted to the vehicle? If a diesel is it a 2.0 or 2.4?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's a diesel 2.0

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the dipstick tube is bolted to the engine block low down near the water pump rubber hoses, if the whole tube came out then this suggests the bracket that is part of the tube has broken allowing the whole tube to come out. Below is a diagram to show where the dipstick is on this engine, the hole for the tube to go into the block is low down on the engine at the front.

graphic

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean,

Is it feasible that we will be able to slot this back in ourselves or should we give up now and wait for a mechanic tomorrow. From your diagram we can't see where it relates to on the actual engine - we need a better diagram of where it actually goes in.

Thanks so far.

Bea

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the van has the large plastic air intake on top of the inlet manifold then it will be difficult to see where the dipstick goes without removing this. Below is another image, you can see the dipstick in the middle of the photo and it enters the block just near the rubber hose from the water pump to the oil cooler. You may find the starter motor obscures the view a little.

graphic

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the image but we are still struggling to find the hole - it is really not obvious even with the help of your diagram and image as there is so much other stuff, pipes etc. in the way.

Is it safe to drive it round to a garage in the morning

Bea

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
I wouldn't recommend driving it with the tube missing as the hole is so low down when the engine runs oil will come from it at a quick rate.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Regards,
Sean.