Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a J reg saphire with the N9 8 valve twin overhead cam

Customer Question

I have a J reg saphire with the N9 8 valve twin overhead cam engine which started a fault about a year ago. when you go to start the engine spins over no problem but no spark coming from the coil even though there is current there. left for half an hour and it started and ran perfectly for a while (8-9 months).Then it has got more frequent lately,I was told it may be the ignition switch so changed that,then told outside chance that if the starter brushes were worn it does sometimes arc and confuse the engine black box. so took starter out and found the brushes were worn and just starting to arc so put anew one back on buit guess what it has made no difference. any advice on what now. Regards Selwyn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this issue..

Before we progress - can I just ask you to tell me if there are any other parts on the engine that you have changed at all in a bid to cure this issue... and if so , exactly what ...?

Plus - what mileage does the car have?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................