Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have y plate1.6 auto focus with z tec engine,it has an intermittent

i have y plate1.6 auto focus with z tec engine,it has an intermittent "knocking noise" at idle or running along,sounds like a worn bearing on the serpentine belt chain,have checked tensioner bearing which is ok but loose in its pulley?replaced bearing in idler pulley still noisy,i would say its a metallic sort of knock any ideas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you -

You mention above - "have checked tensioner bearing which is ok but loose in its pulley?replaced bearing in idler pulley still noisy,...."....

Im not really 100% sure what you are saying you have done there - can you clarify for me?

Too -whatever you have done - are you saying the belt is loose now ?

Rgds, MIKE.....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

the bearing in the tensioner pulley is ok but the bearing is not a tight fit in the plastic pulley,it seems to be floating inside but not removeable as the pulley moulding is smaller than the bearing OD.quite how its assembled i do not know unless it is a one piece assembly when manufactured.the bearing in the idler was replaced as slightly worn but had little effect.

Brian.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Brian -

First my sincere apologies for the fact that I could only just get back to you - Im sorry I just missed you when you replied..

That doesn't sound right at all Brian - I think the best thing for you to do is to go to a Ford parts dept - ask them for another and when they bring it to you - check to see if its different... ie - the inner bearing not loose as yours appears to be.. That way you wil know for sure - obviously I cant see it but going off what you have described Brian - that does seem "odd"... So I would suggest to do that to be sure.

The other thing that happens on these is the alternator bearings are susceptible to wear - so bear that in mind - but you do need to check on the above first - as that does appear to be the issue I would say from here.... Let me know how you get on Brian.

Other than anything there- you would need to be removing the timing belt cover and check the rotational bearings in there too ....

Let me know if you need anything else -

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

thanks for info,will check on those other parts when i get the chance,with regard to the tensioner pulley that was not new,its how i found it when i took it off so maybe i will replace it as well.Noise does sound "metallic"so timing belt bearings could be the source,also the noise is more noticeable via a screwdriver held to the ear and placed on the alternator so will have a look at that.

thanks for now,Brian.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome Brian -

Im sure you will find / cure it as above..

You know where I am if there is ever anything else..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

( Please take a moment to fill out the Feedback via the Fb tab if you haven't already - Thank you Brian.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

sorry have not had opportunity to check car since last message,will reply again as soon as i do.