Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I have a ford transit fwd from 2007 , i am having problems

I have a ford transit fwd from 2007 , i am having problems with the gear stick freezing in the gate , normaly when its done 30+ miles , i change up or down a gear and it gets stuck in the gate it doesnt go back to the centre of the gate just freezes , after about 10 seconds i can select a gear and all is fine again , then later on it does it again ! , local ford garage put a new clutch in but it is still the same , any clues !!!!!!!! Darran
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Darren,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No ,

Not fixed the problem yet but sure would like to here from one of your experts

Darran

Hello Darran,

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.
If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taught

Then check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years