sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a diesel s max (2010, 55,000miles) automatic, engine

I have a diesel s max (2010, 55,000miles) automatic, engine malfunction light came on 6 wks ago, diagnosis was DPF 80% blocked caused by faulty fuel valve. Static regen carried out and faulty valve replaced. 2 weeks later warning light back on, garage changed fuel filter said it as fixed. 5 miles later EML back on accompanied by 'limited transmission function' gearbox limping almost stopping as it changed through the gears. Back to the dealer who said I need a new gearbox, took it for a 2nd opinion garage serviced the gearbox but same problem recurred in less than 24 hrs. I've spent £900 to date, problem is getting worse not better, surprised if I need a new gearbox at this mileage but more concerned they are guessing at the problem. Help much appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Do you have the chassis number of the car? So I can obtain the correct details. Did the transmission failure message not appear with the original fault? Did the garage say what was wrong with the gearbox or tell you the fault codes obtained?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where would i find the chassis number ? The transmission failure messgae didn't appear at the original fault, it appeared for the first time after the regen, fuel valve change and fuel filter change. It reappeared after the gearbox service. The Ford garage have just said the gearbox is a sealed unit and they don't have the tools or the skills to repair it and the recommendation following a call with Ford is to replace it.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the chassis

number is XXXXX the passenger side at the bottom edge of the windscreen, it is 17 digits long and will start WF0SXXGBWS. If you're unsure about this is the transmission a power shift or standard automatic?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my car is at the garage so i will check the paper work when i get home this evening. i think it is a powershift, there is the automatic gear stick and then next to it something with +/- on it, i have't ever used it though - sorry

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

No problem, see if you can get any more information from the garage as well.

I'll keep any eye out for your reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

any ideas in the meantime ?

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
it would appear that they 2 issues were unrelated as a DPF fault would be unlikely to cause a transmission fault. With regard to the transmission fault if the transmission is a power shift then it's very important the oil and filter for the transmission is replaced every 3 year or 37500 mile service, failure to do this does tend to cause a premature failure. The transmission fault does depend on the fault code stored in the control module as to a suggest course for repair.
The cost of a transmission replacement will be large so given the age and mileage of the car it may be worth speaking to Ford to see if they will contribute towards the cost, 08458411111 is their customer services number.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The chassis number is: WF0SXXGBWSAT74757

I'm looking for more info before rating please
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the transmission is a 6 speed powershift transmission so as I said originally if the oil and filter hasn't been replaced as specified this will cause premature failure.

as the dealer said the transmission is a sealed unit other than replacing the clutch cover, clutch and damper there are no parts available from Ford.

The main thing before replacing the transmission is to make sure there is no electrical problem with the transmission but without the stored DTC(s) it is difficult to provide further information.

As I said before speak to Ford about a contribution this will substantially reduce the cost if the transmission needs replacing but I suspect they will be reluctant to contribute if the oil and filter wasn't replaced on time.

Let me know if I can advise any further especially if you can find any more information from the garage.

Best wishes,

Sean.