sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hello We have a 2004 Ford Finesse 1.25 petrol engine car.

We have a 2004 Ford Finesse 1.25 petrol engine car. Mileage is 32,000 and the car was bought from new. The coolant disappears at about 1 litre per month. There is no sign of a leak and there are no wet patches under the car when stationary. All the pipe joints are dry and the oil looks ok. Whilst having services and it's MOT done, I asked the garage to look for coolant leaks. They stated that it's the water pump seal which has gone and also recommended to replace the timing belt at the same time.
My question is could the coolant be evaporating in other any way ie the filler caps or thermostat etc as there is no signs of any water anywhere.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

The cooling system is a sealed system that operates under pressure, coolant can't evaporate from the system without there being a fault. If the expansion tank cap seal were faulty you would have over heating concerns and usually the coolant would be blown from the cap.

Usually if the water pump leaks on this engine you can see a stain on the underneath of it, it is a common concern on this engine and as the garage suggests I would replace the timing belt and tensioner, the alternator belt usually requires replacement as well as this is a stretch belt and is cut to remove it.

The only other thing that could cause coolant loss without it being a visible leak is if the head gasket has failed and coolant is entering the cylinders, the coolant will burn and produce steam at the exhaust, it doesn't always leave coolant in the oil. A simple check with a block tester can confirm if this is the cause as the fluid in the tester changes colour if exhaust gases are in the coolant.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 No more Ford questions

2 Yes Good

3 No, your reply was on the ball.