Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Can I retrofit a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) to my 1997

Can I retrofit a PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) to my 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX? If so, which additional parts would I need and would they still be readily available from Ford?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you.

Retrofitting a PATS system would not be at all feasible Im afraid.. In with the PATS system , the vehicle's that have them, the main PCM ( engine management computer) - the dash cluster, the fuse box, ( main ) - the wiring and the actual keys , are all of a total different design, electronically and physically per the keys. They all work together re the signal from the keys and so on - so its just not practical.

There are many and some very very good vehicle aftermarket immobiliser systems on the market though - and to be honest - are a lot better than the Ford PATS system in operations. I dont know what you want to spend so I cant say what to go for at least at this point - but if you do a google search for vehicle immobiliser systems, you will come up with many - then you can narrow your search down to the price range you wish to pay - Obviously the more you pay the better - but that would be the way forward with this - Let me know if you want any pointers etc. Im always happy to help..

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

I figured that it would probably be more than just fitting the anti-theft module and getting some new keys programmed even though the wiring harness looks as though it could take it. Shame as it was only available with keyless door entry and my car did not have that option.

Many thanks for the quick response.

Dan

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Dan -

Thank you for your message / reply.

You are very welcome - Im glad to have helped... but yes, it is as I mentioned with that system.

Again - you can actually get excellent systems on the aftermarket - much better than the PATS to be honest - and fitted in an a hour or two depending on what you go for of course.

I hope all goes ok for you - You are welcome back anytime..

All the very best - MIKE.

( Please take a moment to fill out the Feedback for me via the Fb tab if you would / if you haven't already - Thank You .. )