Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have a 2010 Ford Transit van with 50000 miles on board and

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Ford Transit van with 50000 miles on board and I encountered a problem with the gear change. Basically when the engine is running I can't go in none of the gears at all, but when the engine is off, I can change the gears normally. I don't hear any weird noises from the gear box and I believe is fine but I am no mechanic.
What might be the problem? Is it a major problem that will require major expenditure for repairs? Or can be easily fixed by any mechanic.
I will appreciate any information you can provide
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

It sounds like you need a new clutch.

Mark :

Has this been a sudden failure?

Customer:

how expensive would be to change it and how long it will require to a proper mechanic to do it since I am very dependent on the van and I cant wait for days to sit in service

Customer:

Yes it had been a sudden failure

Mark :

What engine do you have?

Customer:

2.4 diesel

Mark :

It takes about 3 hours to replace a clutch.

Customer:

5 gears ford T350

Mark :

Prices vary for parts depending on where you buy from and the same with labour rates.

Customer:

average expense including new clutch would be around what price?

Mark :

What does your garage charge per hour?

Customer:

as I have been told somewhere between £600 -£1000 which seem exagerate

Customer:

it was a local small garage

Mark :

That could be right if it also needs a new dual mass flywheel.

Mark :

A clutch kit is about £200 and about £250 for a flywheel. But prices can vary depending on where you buy from.

Mark :

A garage charging £50 per hour would result in a bill of £600 at least.

Mark :

What did the garage quote you for?

Customer:

how would I know if they will really change the flywheel as well, and not charge me for with out change it it? Or is it a regular thing to change the flywheel when changing the new clutch?

Mark :

Dual mass flywheels are considered to be a wear item and it is recommended they be checked when replacing the clutch and if outside wear limits should be changed.

Mark :

All you can do is ask for all the old parts back after the job is done.

Mark :

Some garages might offer to fit a flywheel and clutch conversion kit which is a bit cheaper.

Mark :

The downside to these kits is it could cause excessive vibration when driving.

Mark :

The duel mass flywheel dampens engine vibration.

Customer:

I don't know how the flywheel looks and they could give me anything to tell me that that it is from my van. So I should ask them to change with original parts?

Mark :

Original parts will be a lot more expensive. The prices I quoted earlier were from motor factors.

Mark :

It could cost about £1000+

Customer:

I see. So I should ask them not to use a conversion kit at all?

Mark :

Click on the link for various pictures of dual mass flywheels.

Mark :

I would not use a conversion kit personally.

Customer:

Ok thanks. You have been very helpful.

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark :

Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.