Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I changed the engine in my 2009 Model Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci and

I changed the engine in my 2009 Model Ford Mondeo 1.8tdci and started the car the fan kept running alrhough car cold drove the car about a mile stopped and wont start again,Engine is turning and diesel in injectors Previous engine had seized up
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor
If the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue
Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

and it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi thanks a mill plenty of checking to do but just a couple of questions 1 can the crank shaft sensor be fitted withoiut opening the gearbox 2 why is the fan continuously on when new engine started . why when car started initially display light orange on dash refrred to in book as engine mal fuction.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Val

the crank sensor is on the engine side so there's no need to remove the gearbox, its on the back of the engine , pointing at the flywheel

if the fan is on all the time I'd check the connections to the engine coolant sensor and its wiring for damage

and on any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mat thanks a million for your brilliant reply and quick responce but I am still pulling my hair out at this atage for the following reason. I got a top diagnostic man that put his computor on the car,He then stated that it was showing two faults a heater sensor and an injector problem.He said that there was great diesel pressure on the injectors he could not say which injector.He advisedcx that my mechanic go through the car inc by inch checking every connection including the timing setting.He said tht it was very hard to find a problem with the engine not running this must be a joke I thought to myself.Lastly he said that Ford would probably have a better computor for checking out the problem. So I spoke to my mechanic and he said definitely not a timing problem but in due course will check all connections meanwhile my Mondeo lies in garage not starting.The diagnostic man said sensor failure would not stop the car from starting is this correct. Thanks Val

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Val

a faulty crank sensor will stop the engine from starting but thats the only one which would

so the heater plug sensor shouldn't stop the engine from starting

however if you mean coolant temperature sensor then this can make it difficult to start if this is faulty so check over the connections to this sensor ( located close to the radiator top hose exit on the engine) and consider replacing the sensor as they are not expensive
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi mat just one question does the crank sensor need special setting as there is room for manouvering on the bracket please

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Val

no setting of the crnak sensor is needed just double check that your new item protrudes the same amount as the old as there are a couple of versions

if its the same then just bolt it up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi mat thanks for that reply new sensor not installed yet awaitibg same fro ford.Last Saturday my mechanic checked injectors while turning engine and their seemed to be little pressure on them no squirting out just a weak dribble.Would this be caused by sensor malfunction or is the ecu not allowing the car to start until sensors are replaced please.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Val

if the crank sensor is faulty you wouldn't get anything from the injectors

I'd also consider getting the fuel pressure checked at the injector rail as this will show if the pump is in good condition
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Mat Thanks a mil you were spot on about the crank sensor.I bought a new crank sensor my mechanic fitted it and the car started immediately great. Now the final touches the fan is continuously on and the diagnostic man cannot find a fault ,The panel still shows an engine fault.The light weas cleared but came back on soon afterwards.We checked the connections leading to a small steel unit attached to the fan and they are ok.What is this small square unit and is it possible that this is faulty,I dont know what it is called.Also the power steering is whiney we put oil to the correct level I wonder should we replace the old oil altogether as the car was lying up for about eighteen months. Thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Val

the fan control unit on the back of the fan can fail either on all the time or never on again , so at least yours has failed 'safe' and they are quite pricey new ( £300)

so I'd look around at breakers yards & Ebay to source a replacement

as for the power steering try driving the car about 50 miles or so and see if it shuts up

if its doesn't then consider new oil