Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

have fitted new hydraulic tensioner to chain timing on transit

Customer Question

have fitted new hydraulic tensioner to chain timing on transit 2.3 petrol 06 plate how do you release tensioner as chain goes slack on parts of rotation
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have fitted timing chain and timed as illustrated in autodata fitted tensioner

tried to use tool illustrated in drawing there was tension on chain ,but when rotating crankshaft the chain would slacken between inlet and exhaust cams

and re tighten at further rotation

Thank you for getting back to me and for providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is Mark and I will be assisting you today.

I don't think you have a problem here. Providing the timing is correct and the copper links are where they should be when the engine is at tdc and there is tension between the crank and cam on the non tensioner side then it is ok.

Mark.