Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I own a mondeo 2.0 edge 2007, done 53K miles, I just tried

Hi I own a mondeo 2.0 edge 2007, done 53K miles, I just tried to start the engine to move it from my drive and the first go it failed to start, the second time and afterwards the engine just seemed to turn over very quickly and did nothing else. The only thing I can compare it to many years ago was when I tried to start a car after a cam belt failure, similar noise. Any idea? cheers Paul
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Paul

can you tell me what engine this is please, also when was it last serviced
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi it's 2.0 petrol engine, last seviced 16 december 2013

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Paul

Ok in that case I'd agree doing a compression test across all cylinders to check for any cam belt issues as they should all be within 10-15 psi

also check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its coil and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly
If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt

Thanks for your time and detailed response. I'll get this checked out now asap. I'm much obliged for your help with this.

Cheers

Paul

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem Paul

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.
If you don't rate then you can use the cash at a later date to ask another question.

However you can keep asking questions on the same post as the process is supposed to a be a dialogue with information going back and forth to solve the problem