Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

MY FORD FOCUS GHIA 2,0 1999 ZETEC 16 VALVE HAS LOW IDLE

Customer Question

MY FORD FOCUS GHIA 2,0 1999 ZETEC 16 VALVE HAS LOW IDLE AND RUNS ROUGH AS IF SEARCHING AND LOOKS LIKE GONNA CUT OUT IVE CHANGED ALL THE BASICS WHAT ELSE COUKD IT BE
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you

Ok the most common concern regarding low idle apart from the obvious idle speed control valve is a collapsed breather hose at the rear of the inlet manifold
These were prone to swelling and collapsing in on thd elves this chocking the engine as it cannot breathe properly
I would have a visual look and feel around all the heather hoses as there is one that sits on the under side of the manifold

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards in advance and have a nice day

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

most of the hoses have been changed ...

Hi there

Does the vehicle drive ok ie no missfires or hesitations on acceleration

Has the hose at the underside of the manifold been checked to endure it isn't collapsed

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

drives ok no misfire a small bit . has cut out once so far whilst at standstll . just feels like its hunting very low idle

Hi there ,

Ok ideally you should have a datalogger connected to the vehicle to monitor the relavent signals from the engine management sensors in live time

there are several things that could cause your issue

Check first the breather system ie all the hoses and also the PCV valve (crankcase breather valve ) as if this has collapsed

The air intake system should also be inspected
Ie remove use filter /dissconnect and clean the MAF sensor
Check the throttle body butterfly for debris/operation which could possibly hold it open slightly

The fuel pressure should also be checked and ruled out as a process of elimination ie a blocked fuel filter starving the engine of fuel

Kind regards in advance

Brian