Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

My ford focus 1.8 zetec 2010 22,000 miles I bought 9 months

Customer Question

My ford focus 1.8 zetec 2010 22,000 miles I bought 9 months ago from a ford dealer has had a problem from about 2 months after being bought.when I try to start it there is no sounds of anything coming from it I can try 8-10 times turning the key and nothing,but after leaving it for an unspecified timed(shortest being about6-7 hours)I can then get in the car and it will start 1st time.My ford dealer who have had the car for 5 days recently to try and replicate the problem have not so far found it.This situation is getting beyond a joke as it has happened 6 times in 8 months.help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok do you get ignition lights but no crank (every time the fault happens )

I assume this doesn't have the push button start

What does the red Immobilsor light do on the dash when this fault happens ie flash rapidly

This is an important part of the diagnostics in regards to what is actually happening thus gives me a clearer picture of the issue

Regards in advance

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

q1 yes

q2 no

q3 no nothing I think

Hi there thanks

Ok in regards to question 3 we need to be sure of what is happening when you put the ignition on when the fault is present

When you turn the ignition on the red Immobilsor light should go solid for a few seconds then go out
This is the Immobilsor self test when it goes out this means the Immobilsor is ok and cranking should commence
This is the most important part of the diagnosis of this fault

If the light starts flashing when the ignition is switched on
Leave it flashing for 1 minute it will then emit a flash code
ie- 1 flash -PAUSE -5flashes =flash code 15
This confirms an Immobilsor fault is the cause and we can progress
As this is an intermitent fault it makes it a bit more difficult to trace but it's important with these types of fault to gather as much information as possible

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards in advance and have a nice day
We can continue on this same post

Brian