Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hiya i have had the valves and gasket being done as all else

Customer Question

hiya i have had the valves and gasket being done as all else was checked and i changed the hoses and plugs and filters idle valve etc
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

can you tell me what the problem is please and I'll try to help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hiya. Idle to slow As if engine going to stop conk out. Bloody nightmare Done most things. Now valves being done
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tracy

if the compression was too low on 1 cylinder then I can see why you're doing the valves

were the compression pressures low ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes think num 3 and num 4 valves were not working right all valves being done

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tracy

Ok in that case re-working the cylinder head is worthwhile

I'd also check for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKYOU I CHANGED ALL HOSES AND CHECKED AIRLEAKS ETC ETC AND HAD NEW IDLE VALVE ASWELL AS PLUGS ETC

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
OK Tracy

hopefully then the rebuilt cylinder head shoudl fix the issue

just get back to me on this post if I can help further