sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi My 2007 transit connect will not start unless I give

My 2007 transit connect will not start unless I give it one spray of easy start. It then runs fine but occasionally the glow plug light will come on and it will stall. I have got into the habit of turning it off when I see the light and turning back on while still moving and bump starting it. It will be fine for a while and do it again.

Any help and or advice would be much appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

From the description you've given this will be due to a fuel pressure concern. The glow plug lamp will flash if the engine management detects incorrect fuel pressure and is unable to correct it within a set time. When trying to start the engine if the fuel pressure doesn't reach the target value then the engine management won't allow the engine to start, when you use Easy Start the engine fires on this and as the engine turns faster when it fires this will allow the pump to produce more pressure.

There are a few possible causes for this, a failing fuel pump, poor fuel supply or a faulty injector.

To diagnose correctly involves checking the fuel pressure electronically and measuring the amount of fuel returned from each injector (leak off check) an injector that is significantly different in the amount of fuel returned would be suspect.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sean,

I took it to my village garage. The bloke there was very helpful, he put it on his diagnostic thingy and came up with pressure switch fault. he will be changing the glow plugs the switch and the fuel filter for me on Thursday. The diagnostics showed good fuel pressure from the injector pump and everything else appeared to be ok.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

you say the diagnostic came up with a pressure switch fault, which pressure switch? Or do you mean a pressure sensor. If it's a pressure sensor in the fuel rail this could still point to a fuel pressure problem.

Let me know,

thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was the switch on the air filter casing mate

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the nearest sensor to the air filter housing is an air temperature sensor, this alone wouldn't stop the engine from starting. Changing the fuel filter is a good starting point if there is a fuel pressure problem. The glow plugs failing can cause poor starting but these won't make the glow plug light flash while driving.

Let me know if I can advise further.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Van booked in to a diesel specialist used by my mate who runs lorries.

Thank you for advice but hopefully the problems will be resolved on Wednesday.

Ray