Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

hi I have a 2012 focus st3 brought from new. my led headlight

Customer Question

hi I have a 2012 focus st3 brought from new. my led headlight strip was playing up I took it to ford they dais it had to be replaced but not under warrenty. I paid the money but the light unit is not siting properly its raised about 3-4mm compared to the other side.the headlight sat perfect. to rectify this ford have raised my bonnet but now that is hard to close. there answer is I have had a front end impact which has moved the bracket and unit out of alignment. I have not had any impact anywhere on the car. i have heard that the st3 headlight is slightly different from the st1 & 2 could this be the problem that they have fitted the wrong one cheers phil
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Phil Good afternoon to you

Ok I have changed a few headlights on the new shape focus and haven't had any issues in regards XXXXX XXXXX parts being wrong or sitting too high
Also why was this headlight daytime running lamp concern not covered under warranty
What was the actual concern (strip light inop )

I can look further into this for you phil if you wish and double check parts /warranty issues

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told after the first year that bulbs/lights were not covered by warranty after a lot of arguments with customer services they agreed to inly charge me £371.00 as a goodwill gesture. the led daytime running light the middle bulb was not working and as this could not be removed the whole headlight unit had to be changed. cheers phil

Hi phil

Ok my understanding if this was yes bulbs weren't covered but the daytime running lamp is part if the headlight which should be covered
I will double check this with my warranty clerk tomorrow and also if you can you give me your reg or chassis number I can double check the headlight part number
As it doesn't sound right in regards XXXXX XXXXX headlight sitting too high

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi my reg is j111ysx this was my argument and I complained to the salesman and customer services and they checked and said it wasn't under warranty. I have taken the light out to check/compare with the other side. the bracket ll seems fine but the light will not sit any lower. as the original light sat perfectly I am going to ask for it back to compare old and new.

cheers phil

Hi there phil

I will do some digging tommorow in this and get straight back to you

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening

Brian
Hi there phil ,good morning to you

Sorry about the delayed response as my parts department was shut yesterday (bank holiday )

Ok your vehicle only lists 1 headlamp assembly

RH -(NNN) NNN-NNNN
LH - (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Both £588.00+ vat

I also spoke to my warranty clerk who double checked these part numbers and advises me that full headlight assembly's are covered under the fords 60,000 mile -3 year warranty
As the DTRL (led strip ) is part of the headlight this is a headlamp internal failure

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi brian, I spoke to manager at fords today asking for old headlight unit back so I can prove it fitted perfectly. they cannot give it back to me as it has to be sent back to fords as I have only part paid (does this mean they are claiming warranty and charging me aswell). however they will put the old unit back in with me there to see and both fords and customer services are saying its not a warranty issue. where do I go from here.

cheers phil

Hi there phil

Thanks for replying

Ok I don't know what they are doing at your dealership
If it is a goodwill claim as I suspect you have been given then the part to my knowledge doesn't go back but it may be different with headlamps (there may be a surcharge of done sort ) so I can't really say in that issue

I would ask to speak to there warranty administrator and give him the part number of the replaced headlight and ask him to check his matrix to see if it qualifies for warranty which it does as I spoke directly to my warranty administrator this morning
This is NOT a bulb fault this is an internal Headlight fault as the bulbs or strip cannot be replaced (black box unit )
If the headlight adjuster was faulty inside the headlight would it be covered -yes of course it would as it's an internal fault

Also phil I checked your vehicles warranty history and they have completed a session for fitting a left hand headlamp this was on 23/5/2014
They have also claimed wiring tests on the left hand headlamp in 8/4/2014-stating suspect headlamp

And both have RVC s (this is a 16 digit authorisation code ) that the warranty administrator uses to claim the warranty costs

You can tell them this information (better speaking to warranty admistratpr or whoever is in charge of warranty )
But as I said phil my administrator states it's covered by me giving him the part number

I hope this assists you phil as I hate seeing people being fobbed off especially when your buying /paying so much for a high spec vehicle like the focus ST

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi brian thanks for the help you have given I will be going to dealership this afternoon and relaying what you have told me.I also need to get them to sort out the damage that was done to the underneath from what looks like hitting the ramps, two scuff marks and a crack in the bumper, neither of these things were on the car when it went in. will let you know what the outcome is.

cheers phil

Hi phil

Best of luck with this issue

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi brian, I have spoken to the manager who has told me I have paid the £300 and the rest he was claiming back on warranty as he said he has been told by ford this is not a warranty claim. when I gave him the info from you he said if ford motor company agreed it was a warranty issue he would refund my money but at the mo he cant do anything else.would you be able to give me the details of the people I need to deal with to sort this out. cheers phil

Hi there phil

Ok what he has done is gave you goodwill Mabye 25%

ideally if possible (which might not be ) you need to speak with the company/dealerships warranty administrator
As he/she is the person who closes and receives payment for the warranty repairs from ford
My warranty administrator took less than 5 minutes to check these two part numbers were warranty
The service manger should be dealing with this (as that's his job regarding customers issues ) and contacting his warranty team
One phone call is all it would take
The dealer in Essex has already got a 16 digit RVC code to claim warranty on this part so they are still being paid for doing the job

There is no one you can actually contact except ford customer care but you have already been there
Warranty isn't one I know every in and out of phil this why we employ an administrator who if has issues contacts a place known as warranty and polices if there is any arguments over payment
But yours is a straight forward warranty claim
Why they charged you is unknown to me but it would be nice to put the record straight and save you a nice bit of money at the same time as i said phil I hate to see people who have bought into the ford range treated like this
As some customers think all dealers are the same ie ford it can have a knock on effect in rebuying terms

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue phil please let me know
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice

Brian

We can continue on this same post
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi brian Im going to pass this info onto customer care, but if they are saying the same as the dealership that this is not under warranty the only other option I have is to email the head of the company Philip maskell to see what he can do or say about this.

kind regards XXXXX XXXXX for your help. phil

Hi there phil ,good evening to you

No worries hopefully we can get this issue resolved
As it should be a smile case of a few phone calls and a full refund
As my warranty adminstrator has double checked this part number as covered under warranty

If you need anymore help or advice on this phil issue please let me know
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
We can continue on this sane post even after my advice /answer had been rated

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi brian just to let you know still no joy. in I have spoken to another ford dealer rates/fords and asked if they could check that my headlight unit had to be changed as faulty and was this under warranty they came back and said no because the diode was classed as a bulb. they said that any ford dealer ship would get the same response and it was a very grey area. customer services have told me they don't contact warranty they just go by what the dealer tells them. again not under warranty. However off the record I had info from ford warranty that this is covered under the 3year/60000mile warranty but I cant divulge that info. I have taken your emails into the branch where I brought the car but it seems if they check and get the same result im not covered. I would appreciate any further advice you can give me.

cheers phil

Hi there phil ,good afternoon to you

Ok it should be a simple case of giving the part number to the said dealers warranty clerk who will punch the part number into his system and it will state this is covered

So it's a Diode issue well what happens in 2 weeks when another diode goes £300 + everytime a bulb goes ???
I actually spoke with my warranty clerk this morning and again he says it's s simple 2 minute job for any warranty clerk to check this on fords system

In my workshop this would be covered under warranty

Regards in advance

Brian