Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

hi there. I have a ford focus 1.6 tdci sport and it appears

hi there. I have a ford focus 1.6 tdci sport and it appears to be in permanent limp mode. egr has been replaced as has fuel filter. there is only one fault code relating to the glow plug wiring can you help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you

Ok the most common issue we see in regards XXXXX XXXXX fault description is a fault code of p0380 glow plug circuit

In this case the glow plugs should be removed and tested over a battery as even if 1 or 2 are down it can trigger this fault
The reason being is there is a back fed resistance to the PCM to tell it to switch the glow plug relay off
This is quite a common occurance on the 1.6tdvi dv6 Varient
And can be easily overlooked
This is the main concern we see

On rare occasions the glow plug relay can suffer water ingress (this is located on the passengers subframe leg on most models (build date pending )as some are in the engine bay fuse box

But the actual glow plugs can cause this limp home issue if this is the only code being logged

They are a bit if a pain to get at as they are right down the rear of the cylinder head

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening

Brian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after taking out the glow plugs, yea not the easy job it used to be, they all work on the battery, the relay is cutting in and out with power at its terminals, but nothing at the caps for the plugs, have now stripped the wiring loom down and find a trapped wire where the clutch was replaced, repaired it and now the car runs as smooth as a babies bottom, but what a bugger to work on, took me 5 hours in total, regards Ian

Hi there Ian good morning
Thanks for replying

That's great news that our fault has been resolved
I agree Ian that these 1.6tdci dv6 engines are an absolute pain to work on and can mostly leave your back and knees a bit sore after being down the back of this engine for a few hours
My advice given to you wasn't taking into account Malpractice as I have never seen any glowplug wiring issue in this Varient thus I didn't want to send you down a false route

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Ian please let me know
If you have been completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day

Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE