sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

when i go to start my van it not so if i put it in gear turn

Customer Question

when i go to start my van it not so if i put it in gear turn it over then dip the clutch it starts had it looked at they say the censers are all ok but EGR vale no good so changed that but still it not start help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

Can you confirm the engine turns over but won't fire? Or is the engine not turning over? As soon as you press the clutch the engine starts? Does it start if you are cranking the engine and then press the clutch while it is still cranking? Once running does the engine continue to run?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it turns over but don't fire up so as you keep turning it over you dip the clutch and it starts and keep running till you stop it again.

liam

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

from the description you've given this would indicate a fault with either the crankshaft position sensor or a base engine fault where there is to much end float on the crankshaft.

The engine position used by the engine management is taken from the crank position sensor, this uses the flywheel to detect the position of the crankshaft. If this signal is missing the engine won't start. When you press the clutch this pushes the release bearing of the clutch into the clutch/flywheel assembly, if there is excess end float on the crank it may be the flywheel has moved far enough away from the crank sensor to lose the flywheel position but when you press the clutch this pushes the crank and flywheel back into a position where the flywheel position can be detected again so the engine starts.

Once the engine is running the voltage from the sensor is higher so the engine management can detect it better so the engine continues to run.

There is a possibility that the starter motor is taking too much power when cranking the engine, this can shut the engine management down but if you press the clutch the reduced drag from the transmission may be enough to reduce the amount of power taken by the starter to a point where the engine management remains active so the engine starts.

Start with checking these points, also if you have just got the van make sure there isn't some kind of aftermarket cut off fitted to the clutch pedal that won't allow the engine to start unless the clutch is pressed ( disregard this if you have had the van for a while and the problem has just occurred).

Let me know if I can advise further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.