Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

After just 4000 miles a loud rattle has started on tick over

After just 4000 miles a loud rattle has started on tick over from my 100ps ford ecoboost engine which disappears over 1400 rpm.Local ford dealer baffled. Any ideas please ? Martin
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Martin ,good evening to you

Ok does is this rattle more noticeable when warm and if you rev the vehicle at idle as it comes back to idle is this when you hear it
Us the location if the rattle mouse in the passengers side of the engine bay

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the rattle is more noticeable when warm and comes back at idle after reving. The rattle is from the rh drivers side.

Hi there thanks XXXXX it's more difficult to diagnose these issues online as I cannot actually hear the rattle but in my experience of these Eco boost 1.0 litre engines regarding your symptoms
The noise is coming from the mechanically high Pressure fuel pump tappet
The fuel pump has a heavy duty spring that sits /runs off the camshaft type tappet /bucket

I have personally heard several of these and have submitted what is known as a GCR (global concern report on each of theses vehicles
There hasn't been anything released regarding the said noise and people I have spoke to say all the 1.0 Eco boost engines are the same (this will not affect the performance of the engine

I would advise going back into you dealer and ask the master technician to cone out to the vehicle with you and demonstrate the noise to him by reving the engine at standstill
And ask him to listen to the fuel pump if the noise is it's tappet then the only thing he can do at the moment is to submit a GCR to ford if enough of these GCR s are received the engineers will look further into the issue

But to my knowledge just now every single one of these engines do it

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue mike please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice evening

Brian